Thursday, May 9, 2019

Pedro Hidalgo

Pedro Hidalgo, a Cuban blind photographer uses still objects used in daily life to narrate the story of his life.






“The shoe at the bottom going all the way up to the top of the head with the hat is a representation of my life. I have the self-portrait moving up the stairs, which for me is symbolic of growth. The self-portrait begins at childhood and moving up from the bottom are small baby shoes. This represents my childhood growing up in Cuba as I did. Always had my visual disability from birth, and as you move up the stairs you see all the different objects, the cameras, the glasses, magnifying glass that have been crucial in my life and my growth. Cameras have always been a way for me to see. It has always helped me to view the world and to be able to capture the world so I could see it better. The drum and the music, the cigar-smoking figurine there indicates the culture that I come from, from Cuba. I grew up during the Cuban Revolution and this was a difficult time there. The photograph of the eyeball signifies war, as you see inside there is a soldier, the saint with the rosary beads signifies my background also, but also talks about the meaning of spirituality for me today. It has been an integral part of my growth as a person and as an artist.”

No comments:

Post a Comment